McMaster iSci
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the student-run forum of an extremely innovative science program, Integrated Science at McMaster

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Earth Science?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Earth Science? Empty
PostSubject: Earth Science?   Earth Science? EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 3:12 pm

i was just wondering what exactly earth science entails. is it basically like physical geography - learning about volcanoes, rocks and that sort of thing, or is it more about energy sources and global warming?
i'm thinking of applying to the program next year, but i haven't taken geography since grade nine, and am very happy about that xD.
how much of the program involves earth science, and what specifically do you guys learn about?
Back to top Go down
Prateek Gupta
Admin

Earth Science? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earth Science?   Earth Science? EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 6:09 pm

earth science -- my favourite. Smile

First year isci will formally cover content from earth sc 1G03 (earth and the environment), while second year will cover earth sc 2E03 (earth history).

So the first year course content will cover like said, physical geography (and will cover all 4 of those things you mentioned and more).. specifically environmental geology and geomorphology. (Though human geography does play an important role in some of the projects such as the cancer project and epidemiology implications)

To see the table of contents of our textbook, click here: http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0070956332/information_center_view0/table_of_contents.html

If you took Grade 12 Earth and Space Science, it is essentially an exact review of that course: covering things from plate tectonics and earthquakes to rock formation and sedimentation and also some stuff on water processes, groundwater, and glaciation (this is by no means an exhaustive list).

The real strength of Earth Science, in my opinion in iSci, is its combined use in projects. Most people coming into this year iSci had little exposure to earth science, like you, but some of the concepts are invaluable for say the Mars Project (understanding landing sites), the Energy Project (the impact of certain energy sources and resource management), and even a bit in the drugs project where you learn about the environmental impact in say water systems.

In my opinion, it fits really well with the whole iSci concept, and it is a necessary science to understand the larger scope of science and its applications (stress and strain in relation to earthquakes, the ties between ecology and land processes, water chemistry.. like lots of connections). We also have a couple of Earth Sci labs and field trips!

Otherwise, formally, earth science is worth half as much as the other sciences in first year (chem, bio, math, physics), and you have less examinations and lectures in comparison to the other two, as iSci technically only covers a 3 credit Earth Sci course, whereas it covers 6 credits in those other subjects (this system will likely only make sense to you if you're familiar with McMaster).

But in my opinion (and the opinion is somewhat mixed), it's a lot of fun!!
Back to top Go down
https://isci.forumotion.com
Scot Brown

Scot Brown

Earth Science? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earth Science?   Earth Science? EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 7:25 pm

earth science is a relatively simple component of the iSci course. we do not have it very often, and when we do have it, it is relatively intuitive content taught by excellent profs. we have a few lectures per term as well as a few field labs. it is easy and lots of fun as prateek said. earth science is nothing like the grueling misery which is grade 9 geography.

also, earth science is only worth half of what the other components are. it shares a slot with Sci Lit.
Back to top Go down

Earth Science? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earth Science?   Earth Science? EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 4:47 pm

so would you say that it's the easier part of isci? because i really hate physical geography of any nature, but if it's simple then i might still consider applying. hahah i'm trying to convey to you how much i hate geography and all of those things, but do you think it's a small enough part of isci that i would be able to deal with it? or do you think that i'd be better off going to life sci?
Back to top Go down
Prateek Gupta
Admin

Earth Science? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earth Science?   Earth Science? EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 5:30 pm

"Easiness" is all relative... so I'm unsure what you mean (content-wise, time-wise, etc.)

But, if you're asking those types of questions about iSci, the program is probably not for you. Comparatively for first year, iSci overall is more thought-provoking and time-intensive, than most other programs in my opinion. So if you're looking for an easy program, don't choose iSci, (choose health sci instead haha Razz)

The iSci mentality is to learn about and to use all the sciences. For example, a solid unit (5 weeks) of second year will be spent focusing on Earth History, which will have a strong earth science theme. If you passionately dislike geography and earth sciences, then don't choose the program, because you will learn it, be tested on it, and be expected to use parts of it on the projects.

Choose a program based on your academic interests! If you are confident in one or two sciences, and have no passion or motivation to learn about certain strands within science, then choosing another program (perhaps life sci if that's your intent) is definitely your best bet.
Back to top Go down
https://isci.forumotion.com
Scot Brown

Scot Brown

Earth Science? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earth Science?   Earth Science? EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 6:01 pm

if you knowingly dislike earth sciences, then I would have to agree with prateek here, but I found that high school doesn't really give a good portrayal of earth sciences. I would say that you dont necessarily have to love earth sciences, but you definitely have to be able to accept them and work with them. for example, I cannot stand cell biology, however during the cancer project I chose an area of focus which kept the cell bio to a minimum. it required knowledge of cell biology, but it wasn't focused on that. so with the earth history, I anticipate paleobiology, astrophysics, and possibly some form of chemistry will be involved. so I would say that if you like most scientific fields and have a general appreciation for how they all fit together iSci is the place for you. but if you utterly loathe one subject area to the point where learning it causes you distress, iSci is DEFINITELY not for you.
Back to top Go down

Earth Science? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earth Science?   Earth Science? EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 8:51 pm

it's not that I'm looking for an "easy" program, I'm just concerned that the earth science portion will involve some difficult concepts which will be even more difficult for me seeing as I have relatively no interest in it, especially compared to everything else in the program.
isci sounds perfect for me, the small class sizes, and the research approach, and the ONLY thing thats throwing me off is the earth science aspect
Back to top Go down
Krista Stemmler

Krista Stemmler

Earth Science? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earth Science?   Earth Science? EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 10:49 pm

As someone who now loves earth science but never gave any thought about it before iSci, I have to say that earth sci will probably be a lot different compared to what you are expecting. I wouldn't at all compare earth sci with grade 9 geography because I've found that they are completely different. If anything the class is more like grade 3 when I explored rocks, water, and volcanoes. Smile Anyways, earth sci will only be hard if you don't pay attention in lectures then never review your notes. The class is very memorizing-intensive but we tend to study in groups, which makes the material fun and the earth sci profs are so good that the material becomes interesting. Also, the fact that it is a half credit means that we don't devote as much time to it compared to the other subjects. Ooh, and the earth sci field trips are tonnes of fun!
Back to top Go down
Fahim Naeem

Earth Science? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earth Science?   Earth Science? EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 10:58 pm

Okay, I don't think Earth Science will be detrimental to your undergraduate learning experience or iSci experience. As mentioned before, learning can be more of an attitude thing sometimes rather than skills-based. If you come with the thought that Earth Sci is the most disgusting thing ever, then you will likely hate it. As someone who was not the biggest fan of Earth Science (still am not), I can assure you that some of the things in that section are actually interesting and applicable to projects and real life. I live in a community where there is construction going on left, right, and centre, and developers tend to dig these gigantic pond-like things near the subdivisions. I used to wonder why they do it and now I know why... you can Google it or wait till ISCI 1A24. Razz Hope this helps with your decision!
Back to top Go down

Earth Science? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earth Science?   Earth Science? EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 3:25 pm

Thanks so much for the detailed answers! reading all of this has made me think twice, i guess, especially because you've all said that it's kind of misrepresented in high school. i think i'll definitely apply next year, good luck to all of you, and thanks for everything!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Earth Science? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earth Science?   Earth Science? Empty

Back to top Go down

Earth Science?
Page 1 of 1