McMaster iSci
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the student-run forum of an extremely innovative science program, Integrated Science at McMaster

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

residence?

Go down 
+10
Jackey Cheng
Prateek Gupta
Scot Brown
Adam Pantaleo
Myles
Fahim Naeem
not a person
James SeongJun Han
Sarah Drohan
Nicholas Pun
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Nicholas Pun

residence? Empty
PostSubject: residence?   residence? EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 6:10 pm

My res assignment just came out, not sure if you first years got your assignemtns yet, but i'm gonna be in keyes 413, so it'd be sick if a bunch of you guys were also in keyes. let me know!
Back to top Go down
Sarah Drohan

residence? Empty
PostSubject: Re: residence?   residence? EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 6:30 pm

I'm in Keyes! Room 408. We're next door neighbours. By the way, is Keyes pronounced like keys or eyes with a k in front? At May@Mac I heard both.
Back to top Go down
Nicholas Pun

residence? Empty
PostSubject: Re: residence?   residence? EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 6:39 pm

eyes Razz
Back to top Go down
Nicholas Pun

residence? Empty
PostSubject: Re: residence?   residence? EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 6:46 pm

that's pretty sweet how we're neighbours, hopefully we can get at least 4 isci's on the 4th floor of keyes, that'd be great
Back to top Go down
James SeongJun Han
Admin
James SeongJun Han

residence? Empty
PostSubject: Re: residence?   residence? EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 7:26 pm

lol anyone Les Prince?
Back to top Go down
not a person

residence? Empty
PostSubject: Re: residence?   residence? EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 7:51 pm

I'm a Community Advisor on first floor Bates. Anyone living there?
Back to top Go down
Fahim Naeem

residence? Empty
PostSubject: Re: residence?   residence? EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 8:00 pm

1st floor McKay!! I'll also be one of the community advisors. I hope to see some of you guys in McKay!
Back to top Go down
Myles

residence? Empty
PostSubject: Re: residence?   residence? EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 8:17 pm

I don't understand, I chose suite, apt or single with washroom and didn't get any of these. Is this common?
Back to top Go down
not a person

residence? Empty
PostSubject: Re: residence?   residence? EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 8:29 pm

Hi Myles,
Each of those types of residence are in very high demand. As well, many upper year students who choose to live in residence get these types of rooms. I don't know how you would go about trying to switch or how likely you are to be successful. Sorry.
Back to top Go down
Myles

residence? Empty
PostSubject: Re: residence?   residence? EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 8:30 pm

I know 3 first year students who got it, I may commute now Sad
Back to top Go down
James SeongJun Han
Admin
James SeongJun Han

residence? Empty
PostSubject: Re: residence?   residence? EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 8:38 pm

i am pretty sure that your residence life will be great regardless of where you go (according to most upper years) Smile
Back to top Go down
Myles

residence? Empty
PostSubject: Re: residence?   residence? EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 8:43 pm

they put me in a double room, exactly what i didn't want (without a washroom too!)
Back to top Go down
James SeongJun Han
Admin
James SeongJun Han

residence? Empty
PostSubject: Re: residence?   residence? EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 9:02 pm

is there a particular reason why you don't want a double room Myles?
Back to top Go down
not a person

residence? Empty
PostSubject: Re: residence?   residence? EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 9:56 pm

Having a room-mate can be a real struggle. I was lucky enough to get a single room last year, but a lot of other people did have room-mate issues. As far as I know, they use a lottery system, and Myles just happened to get bad luck. One student this year (Codrin) was assigned a triple room in Moulton Hall, but decided he'd rather live off campus so found a house instead.
Back to top Go down
Adam Pantaleo

residence? Empty
PostSubject: Re: residence?   residence? EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 10:11 pm

While everyone talks about residence... is anyone commuting? I think it's safe to say that I'm an expert with all things GO and Mississauga Transit, so I'd be happy to answer any questions in that department. =P
Back to top Go down
Myles

residence? Empty
PostSubject: Re: residence?   residence? EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 10:20 pm

No, the double room does not appeal to me for many reasons. Besides I really wanted access to a kitchen, seeing as I eat a lot and often. Very Happy

Adam, as for commuting, how did you find it last year? Did you find you were able to work with the group after classes as well, or did the commuting interfere?
Back to top Go down
Adam Pantaleo

residence? Empty
PostSubject: Re: residence?   residence? EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 10:29 pm

I didn't have a problem with commuting. I'm completely used to it, and now it's normal for me! I would say that the commuting didn't interfere with group work, but sometimes it was a bit of an inconvenience. I got used to it, though.

The one exception is late night. The last GO bus home for me came at 10:50pm, so I had to go home then no matter what.

The biggest piece of advice I have: study on the bus. If you don't, you'll suddenly find your day much, much shorter, and you won't have enough time to get everything done.

If you have any more questions, I'd be happy to answer them! And if you do commute, where would you be commuting from?
Back to top Go down
Myles

residence? Empty
PostSubject: Re: residence?   residence? EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 10:31 pm

I'm coming from Cedar Mills, it's about 15 minutes north of Bolton. 20 min NE of Brampton
Back to top Go down
Myles

residence? Empty
PostSubject: Re: residence?   residence? EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 10:35 pm

Adam, how long was the commute to Mississauga?
Back to top Go down
Adam Pantaleo

residence? Empty
PostSubject: Re: residence?   residence? EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 10:37 pm

Wow, that's far...

I commuted from northwest Mississauga, and it took me a bit less than 1.5 hours to get to Mac. Have you looked into exactly how you would commute? You'd have to get to Bramalea GO to take the GO bus to Mac, I think.

To be honest, it seems a bit excessive, but try to figure out the transit.
Back to top Go down
Adam Pantaleo

residence? Empty
PostSubject: Re: residence?   residence? EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 10:41 pm

Unless you plan to drive... it never occured to me because I take transit, haha.
Back to top Go down
Myles

residence? Empty
PostSubject: Re: residence?   residence? EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 10:43 pm

Yeah, there is a new go bus station in Bolton now, tried looking at the schedule, it does look a little confusing. My other option is to look off campus but I'm a little hesitant to do that.

1.5 hours to Mississauga seems long, maybe I need to rethink the commuting.

Thanks for your help, Adam.
Back to top Go down
Myles

residence? Empty
PostSubject: Re: residence?   residence? EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 10:46 pm

Driving is a possibility, however my mom's freaking out because its 100km one way. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Scot Brown

Scot Brown

residence? Empty
PostSubject: Re: residence?   residence? EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 12:25 am

I used to live just southeast of you (I think) I was in schomberg (near Hwy 27 and Hwy 9). the gas expenses to drive can get to be a bit much, and just over 2 hours of driving per day JUST getting to school and back seems like a bit of a hassle (NOTE: I lived right off of Hwy 400 and took the 407 when travelling home, your commute may be longer). I lived in residence first year for that precise reason. another issue is that, as Adam said, you can study on the bus; driving makes studying hard... I would strongly recommend NOT driving. either take the GO bus, or live in hamilton if at all possible. there may or may not be other iScis who have room in their houses for september if you are worried about housemates, there are also some apt buildings which are a bus ride away. I would suggest making a decision relatively soon, and if you go with commuting I would recommend trying it out first. I am sorry that you didn't get keyes, and I hope that you can find a solution.
Back to top Go down
Myles

residence? Empty
PostSubject: Re: residence?   residence? EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 6:10 pm

Scot, I actually live 15 minutes south/west of Schomberg.

Does anyone know anything good/bad about the West Village Suites? I was looking at this as an alternative to res?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Back to top Go down
Scot Brown

Scot Brown

residence? Empty
PostSubject: Re: residence?   residence? EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 6:49 pm

i've heard that they are nice, but can be a touch pricey. although compared to rez it is well priced. also, upon turning 19 you will be living right above charlie west, a popular bar/club.
Back to top Go down
Myles

residence? Empty
PostSubject: Re: residence?   residence? EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 7:38 pm

Thanks Scot, and as for Charlie West, I'm not the bar/club type. Do you know if it gets loud and rowdy??
Back to top Go down
Prateek Gupta
Admin

residence? Empty
PostSubject: Re: residence?   residence? EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 8:54 pm

hey, a couple of my close friends are living at the west village suites.

i know it's somewhat expensive (like more than mac res would be), and i'm not sure if they have singles, (i think they have suites of 5 or 6), but there's sweet facilities inside and it's pretty spacious.

and charlie west is a pretty soft bar/club, so it should not be too loud... and it is still a separate entity from the suites, so don't worry about roudiness, etc.

it's a quick bus ride away, and it's not too bad of a walk either.
Back to top Go down
https://isci.forumotion.com
Jackey Cheng

residence? Empty
PostSubject: Re: residence?   residence? EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 11:18 pm

@Sarah and Nicholas: I will be in Keyes 406! I am very excited to have you guys as neighbours!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.JackeyCheng.com/
Jyssika Russell

residence? Empty
PostSubject: Re: residence?   residence? EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 11:40 pm

Also, as everyone here really seems to not be fans of double rooms, I thought i'd defend them.

I had MANY issues with my roommate (in a double room without a washroom), and by the end of the year, we didn't even talk. However, I wouldn't change living in a double room, because I found that living in a res where most people live in double rooms and have communal washrooms, it made people get out of their rooms more, and we had a really great floor community.

If you want the opportunity to be social, and make lots of friends outside of iSci, living in a double/res with communal washrooms is a great way to do it!

oh, and you do get over the whole communal washroom thing after about a week. its really not that bad! and they clean it for you!
Back to top Go down
Prateek Gupta
Admin

residence? Empty
PostSubject: Re: residence?   residence? EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 11:49 pm

^^This is very true!!

Keyes is awesome and easily the best res ever -- but it does have some drawbacks.

Keyes is markedly less social (and I don't just mean partying, big events, etc.), but even just getting to know people and making friends in res. I genuinely knew more people in other residences than I did in Keyes (e.g. I found Moulton, Brandon, and L.P. to be some of the more social residences last year).

People call it the "two door" problem, because there are two doors separating you from the communal area, so if someone were to knock on your main door you wouldn't hear them. Like you get to know everyone in welcome week in Keyes, but after that it's tough to stay in touch... it was termed the 'study res' last year, admittedly there are great study zones (iScis be sure to claim the basement common space! best and least known common area on campus).

haha, so in closing. residences with double rooms are still pretty awesome. university life is what you make of it. you'll have fun meeting people wherever you are. if living on residence is within your finances, i would definitely recommend it over living at home, or off-campus (for at least first year). it's just an experience that needs to be had for every young adult (even if it's good or bad, just a necessary experience to learn a lot about yourself).
Back to top Go down
https://isci.forumotion.com
Emily Taylor

residence? Empty
PostSubject: Re: residence?   residence? EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 1:48 pm

@ Myles

I definitely agree with Jyssika! Especially about the bathroom thing - it is not bad at all! When you have to leave your room to go to the washroom, you are bound to run into a few people on your way there and back. As funny as it may sound, it really is an opportunity to be social!!

So for the double room/worried about not having a kitchen thing - there is a common room kitchen. My friends and I cooked a lot last year and it is available for you to use at any time during the day/night! There is a stove/oven, microwave, fridge, toaster and kettle all there for you to use! And you could also have a fridge in your room (I did!).

I was in Brandon Hall in a double room. At first I will admit that I was hesitant because I wanted Les Prince. But I am actually so extremely happy with my res experience! My roommate and I did have slightly different schedules but it really didn't have much of an effect on anything. We are great friends and met great people on our floor to share a house with this coming school year! I would strongly recommend for you to consider staying in residence first year as it truly is an awesome experience, and one that you sure don't want to miss out on (in my opinion)!

Also, it is definitely convenient to live on campus first year, as you are getting to adapt to the university life. You are always a ten minute walk away (maximum) from anything on campus (one side to the other). Maybe I am bias, but I could not imagine not living in residence during first year!
Back to top Go down
Ryan Hopkins

residence? Empty
PostSubject: Re: residence?   residence? EmptySat Jul 10, 2010 10:17 am

I'm commuting from Burlington, which isn't bad I suppose. I'll probably drive...which only takes half an hour on a bad day Razz. I'm sort of envious of all you kids staying in rez, though. But then I just remind myself that my mom will still clean my laundry for me Razz!!!
Back to top Go down
Eric Hempel

residence? Empty
PostSubject: Re: residence?   residence? EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 10:49 pm

I'll be in Les Prince room 417, any one else there? Its a double with washroom, not that i particularly care about having a private washroom, I just wanted to be in the new building Razz
Back to top Go down
James SeongJun Han
Admin
James SeongJun Han

residence? Empty
PostSubject: Re: residence?   residence? EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 11:32 pm

Yes that makes 5 ppl in Les Prince so far Smile
Back to top Go down
Eric Hempel

residence? Empty
PostSubject: Re: residence?   residence? EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 11:41 pm

Sweeto! Know of anyone on the 4th floor?
Back to top Go down
James SeongJun Han
Admin
James SeongJun Han

residence? Empty
PostSubject: Re: residence?   residence? EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 11:59 pm

aha sry no... other four ppl including myself are in the first floor Smile
Back to top Go down
Eric Hempel

residence? Empty
PostSubject: Re: residence?   residence? EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 4:21 pm

Ahhh, rats, thats okay. Hey I was wondering if anyone knew how to send your roomate a message? or to recieve them if they try and send me one. I sent him one or two on the Residence Portal thing, but have had no answers yet, and I actually have no idea where his replies would end up going...
Back to top Go down
Nicholas Pun

residence? Empty
PostSubject: Re: residence?   residence? EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 4:23 pm

you should get an email notification of a reply if he does reply, and it should show up on residence portal.
Back to top Go down
not a person

residence? Empty
PostSubject: Re: residence?   residence? EmptySat Aug 28, 2010 1:14 am

Anyone living in B-B-B-B-BATES this year? Get ready for a rockin' beach theme if you do!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

residence? Empty
PostSubject: Re: residence?   residence? Empty

Back to top Go down

residence?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
McMaster iSci :: Incoming Students :: iSci 2014-
Jump to: