McMaster iSci
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the student-run forum of an extremely innovative science program, Integrated Science at McMaster

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

HORIZONS 2010 Conference

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Jackey Cheng

HORIZONS 2010 Conference Empty
PostSubject: HORIZONS 2010 Conference   HORIZONS 2010 Conference EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 12:29 am

Hey Future iSci 2014's,
This sounds like an incredible opportunity for us to learn more about McMaster, gain leadership skills, and meet other first-years before Welcome Week. I hope to see some iSci's at HORIZONS this August!

Check it out at https://www.msumcmaster.ca/servicesandbusiness/horizons/generalInfo/overview.htm
Back to top Go down
http://www.JackeyCheng.com/
Prateek Gupta
Admin

PostSubject: Re: HORIZONS 2010 Conference   HORIZONS 2010 Conference EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 12:44 am

great find! alex and i were the only iScis that went last year, I hope more iScis sign up this year.. it's a great way to meet other motivated and interesting people, learn more about the university, and just have a fun time!
Back to top Go down
https://isci.forumotion.com
Ryan Hopkins

PostSubject: Re: HORIZONS 2010 Conference   HORIZONS 2010 Conference EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 1:52 am

This looks cool! I really want to get involved this year, and this looks like it's a pretty interesting first step towards that goal. Did you find it to be worth while, Prateek?
Back to top Go down
Prateek Gupta
Admin

PostSubject: Re: HORIZONS 2010 Conference   HORIZONS 2010 Conference EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 3:26 pm

Yeah, it wasn't anything mindblowing, but it was definitely fun. It's good preparation for the insanely spirited Welcome Week (which I'm sure you'll all be part of!!).

I also remember there were 'workshops' that help in kind of outlining some of the problems you will face in university, and what steps you can take in overcoming them. There are also "leadership" type workshops -- which aren't too different from any high school type leadership camps, if you have been to those.

It was also just an all around fun time. When I went, there was bowling, a dance competition (Alex was amazing at that), a couple really cool guest speakers, a dance event at Charlie West, and I remember this one manhunt type game in the Student Centre that was pretty cool.

You also meet a whole lot of people! Like during the school year I would always come across people again I met at Horizons. And it's a really great icebreaker, just saying "hey, were you at Horizons?"

It's a definite recommend from me... but if you already are really comfortable socially, not too worried about the university transition, and are familiar with the Mac campus and lifestyle, I would pass.
Back to top Go down
Alex Nielsen

Alex Nielsen

PostSubject: Re: HORIZONS 2010 Conference   HORIZONS 2010 Conference EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 8:39 am

Hey Ryan, yea Prateek and I were there last year and I would definately recommend it. Besides leadership stuff, it also gets you to know some people on campus before anybody else which I think is a good thing. Def helps to know people when you're going somewhere new.
Back to top Go down
Prateek Gupta
Admin

PostSubject: Re: HORIZONS 2010 Conference   HORIZONS 2010 Conference EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 3:31 pm

hey guys, i've heard a few of you ended up going to the horizons conference. how did you all enjoy it? (sorry there were no horizons leaders from isci this year, some of you can make that change next year though!)
Back to top Go down
James SeongJun Han
Admin
James SeongJun Han

PostSubject: Re: HORIZONS 2010 Conference   HORIZONS 2010 Conference EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 4:09 pm

Yeah! It was awesome meeting a lot of people! Smile and there were 8 of us, which made it even better Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HORIZONS 2010 Conference   HORIZONS 2010 Conference Empty

Back to top Go down

HORIZONS 2010 Conference
Page 1 of 1