McMaster iSci
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the student-run forum of an extremely innovative science program, Integrated Science at McMaster

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Grade 12 prospective students

Go down 
+10
Katie Goodwin
Prateek Gupta
Unknown
James SeongJun Han
Rachel Charney
Charles Yin
Myles
Adam Pantaleo
Steven Monardo
not a person
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Adam Pantaleo

Grade 12 prospective students - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grade 12 prospective students   Grade 12 prospective students - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 09, 2011 12:46 pm

Urfa, you're just like me. I'm not naturally smart either; in fact, I'm far from it. Even as early as Grade 9, I remember I had to work so much to get the marks I did when most of my classmates didn't study and did just as well as I did. I'm still the same way. I can't just look at something and learn it. I need to sit down, with the textbook and lecture notes, and really spend hours trying to understand something. I need to do practice problems, I need to discuss it with my classmates... and really, it takes so much time. But in the end, it's all worth it. =)

You'll probaby find iSci very demanding, and you might have trouble finding the time to sit down for hours to learn something. I did, and I still do. But believe me... it's possible. It won't be easy; you'll be stressed; you'll be overwhelmed. But if you put in the effort and truly want to learn, I promise that you'll succeed.

Good luck with your application!
Back to top Go down
uan

PostSubject: Re: Grade 12 prospective students   Grade 12 prospective students - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 09, 2011 3:18 pm

Last edited by uan on Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Unknown

PostSubject: Re: Grade 12 prospective students   Grade 12 prospective students - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 10, 2011 11:09 pm

Hey Urfa,

I'm only in grade 12 like yourself so I can't really comment as well as the others, but I've noticed that you are very excited about the program.

Since it appears you may not be accepted based upon your average (of course, like the others said, you may still get in if your supp. app. is good enough), I'd just like to offer that I believe in the "everything happens for a reason" line. If you're not accepted, then it wasn't meant to be. Perhaps you'll go into another program where you will make a contact that you wouldn't have made in iSci and that leads you somehow to becoming much more successful than any of the iScis (I hate using the word "success" b/c it is so subjective).

Anyway, good luck, and you might just want to disregard my opinion...I'm not sure if "everything happens for a reason" is a line I should be saying in a forum like this. Smile

On a side note, I have a few of my own questions.

Since iSci is a year long course, how exactly do the exams work? The December exams would have to be more like a "half-way point" type of thing, wouldn't they? Because, for example, you've only learned half the material in chemistry since the curriculum is spread out. Hmmm...

Also, concerning the concentrations. If you made your concentration in a certain area, say Physics, wouldn't the Physics material covered in iSci in year 2 be redundant? It would overlap with what you are studying in your physics electives. Although I suppose the physics in iSci would still be unique in the sense that you apply it in a multidisciplinary environment? Furthermore, you wouldn't necessarily have to assume the physics segment of research projects just because your concentration is in that field, would you?

I was just wondering one last thing. I don't want to spark a huge, impassioned debate here but what are the spiritual/religious dispositions in iSci? Being a scientific community, I think I might feel lonely being the only creationist. Smile

Last edited by Adam F. on Fri May 06, 2011 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Unknown

PostSubject: Re: Grade 12 prospective students   Grade 12 prospective students - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 10, 2011 11:18 pm

Oh, one other concern.

Wouldn't the iSci professors be able to see the comments on this forum (hello, if there are any!) and then use them as a factor in acceptance? For example, Urfa's passionate comments may clearly play a positive role in her acceptance if any professors read them. Furthermore, just being active on this forum is probably a good thing because it shows a dedicated interest in the program.

Then again, depending on an individual's comments, it could also be a bad thing. Smile
Back to top Go down
Prateek Gupta
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Grade 12 prospective students   Grade 12 prospective students - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 4:43 am

Hey Urfa and Adam, thanks for your continuous interest! It always interests the iSci community to see prospective students active on the forum.

Urfa, Adam P is totally right, being "smart" in university sometimes does not depend on that natural intelligence, but being able to manage your time well, putting forth as much work that needs to be done, and staying on top of all your tasks is arguably more important. Success in university definitely requires some adaptation to skills, and by no means are students in iSci automatically able to adjust, there is definitely a lot of work and development that needs to happen.

Adam F., the December exams differ by course. For chemistry, math, and physics, the exam structure is parallel to a traditional life/physical science program, where they are all broke up by one semester anyway. Your content on the exams will be nearly identical to your friends at Mac in the other programs. Biology and Earth Sci are more spread out (Biology because the two classes.. cell bio and ecology/evolution run concurrently, so each exam (december/april) will have content from both, instead of one solely for each, and earth sci is as you mentioned spread out, as it is only equal to one course and not two).

For 2nd year, I do not think any students have seen any redundancy based on their courses. You get the anti-requisite for the courses you cover within iSci, so for example, in 2nd year we cover quantum mechanics, so all students (those physics concentration and not) who pass that module will get the anti-requisite for quantum mechanics, and will not be allowed to take the normal modern physics course. And correct, you never really have to assume any role within the group for any project, that's all a matter of how you delegate within your team.

As for religious/spiritual beliefs, I can't speak for the other cohort of students, but in my year, there are a wide range of students, some non-religious, some of different religions, it is an extremely accepting community, and students enjoy learning about each other's philosophies and so on.

And don't worry about professors, they have better things to do then to lurk these forums, (the whole point of this is to be a medium for students to talk and interact freely) and nothing you write here will be a factor in your application to the program, so feel free.
Back to top Go down
https://isci.forumotion.com
uan

PostSubject: Re: Grade 12 prospective students   Grade 12 prospective students - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 2:03 am

Last edited by uan on Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Unknown

PostSubject: Re: Grade 12 prospective students   Grade 12 prospective students - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 4:07 pm

Hey Urfa,

Your question about a typical week is covered perfectly by the iSci website:

http://www.science.mcmaster.ca/isci/prospective-students/a-typical-week

As for your other questions, I can't respond.

And thanks for the quick replies by you guys. You've been very helpful.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
James SeongJun Han
Admin
James SeongJun Han

PostSubject: Re: Grade 12 prospective students   Grade 12 prospective students - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 9:30 pm

Hello Adam and Urfa! Smile
To start off with, guest lecture involves bringing other professors from all over the campus to learn about a specific content. For example for our drug project, we had a biophysicist who explained the physical properties of a cellular membrane and how it could lead to medical symptoms such as the Parkison's Disease. For the sustainable energy project, we just had a professor from physical engineering discussing about the solar power. These guest lectures are usually very interesting and helpful in the projects.
In terms of labs, we have much more labs than any other students in the university. iSci is an innovative program mainly focused on research. Thus, we are more exposed to the labs.
Some of the labs that iScis and life scis have tend to overlap. However we do have our own lab. For instance, our third project involves utilizing different resources to conduct your own experiment. So it involves a bit of creativity as well Smile

James
Back to top Go down
Peter H

PostSubject: Re: Grade 12 prospective students   Grade 12 prospective students - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 11:36 pm

Hey guys!

I'm a gr 12 student that also applied to isci!
I just have a few questions:

Do you still go to normal lectures to learn about content, say compared to lifesci students?
And for the course that incorporates all the sciences, ISCI 1A24, is it only one mark that is worth a lot, or divided in to smaller categories?
In addition, I have noticed that some of the comments are like at 2-3am.. How much sleep would you say an average Isci student gets?

I'm really interested in this program, its just the fact that its so new.
Good luck to all applicants!

-Peter
Back to top Go down
James SeongJun Han
Admin
James SeongJun Han

PostSubject: Re: Grade 12 prospective students   Grade 12 prospective students - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 9:17 pm

Hey Peter!

To answer your first question, ISCI 1A24 does contain the materials required. Our program is a combination of problem-based learning classes and content classes. That being said, you will be learning most of the contents for life science, chemistry, physics, etc.
It really depends on how you define is as normal. For instance, our lectures have 40 students in the class. In a typical life science class, there would be approximately 200~700 depending on classes
If you like to learn with hundreds of other people, there are electives that you can select Smile

ISCI 1A24 is split up into different disciplines (biology, chemistry, physics, math, earth science and scientific literacy). All of the marks get summed up to form ISCI 1A24 mark. In an official transcript, it will show up as one credit course.

Different iScis get different amount of sleep. There are people who tend to stay up really late, and there are those who goes to sleep as early as 11 or 12. To be honest, sleeping shouldn't be a problem if you can manage your time well Smile

- James
Back to top Go down
Taha

PostSubject: Re: Grade 12 prospective students   Grade 12 prospective students - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 12:00 am

Hi there guys, so I live in Oakville, so i was wondering how practical it is to commute to Mac every day. From reading around a bit, I've come to realize that iSci is a really time-demanding program, so how good an idea do you guys think it is to commute around an hourish each day? Do a lot of iSci students commute? THANKS Smile
Back to top Go down
uan

PostSubject: Re: Grade 12 prospective students   Grade 12 prospective students - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 8:11 pm

Last edited by uan on Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
not a person

PostSubject: Re: Grade 12 prospective students   Grade 12 prospective students - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 3:27 pm

Hi Taha,
A number of students commute. I am not one of them, so don't really want to speak to this matter. Suffice to say, however, that one of the students with the best grades and in one of the most demanding concentrations is a commuter. Surely, it is a pain sometimes, but it is certainly possible.
Back to top Go down
Prateek Gupta
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Grade 12 prospective students   Grade 12 prospective students - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 6:43 pm

You're welcome Urfa! I hope everyone had a fun time filling out with the supp app. It will be a while until you hear back (around May), so have fun working on your final semester in the meanwhile! (And don't be tempted by other universities in the meanwhile haha)
Back to top Go down
Curious

PostSubject: Re: Grade 12 prospective students   Grade 12 prospective students - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 8:17 pm

Hey, I'm curious to know what isci students' plans are for their last year at Mac, this coming summer, and their career future. What oppertunities are there for graduates?
Smile Adelle
Back to top Go down
James SeongJun Han
Admin
James SeongJun Han

PostSubject: Re: Grade 12 prospective students   Grade 12 prospective students - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 8:33 pm

Hey Adelle,

Students in iSci may have different interests, and may pursue different fields for the future. That being said, I haven't thought too much about the fourth year. (Most likely) I hope to complete my thesis and continue the research in other institutions during that summer (or go to Dominican Republic to volunteer?). This coming summer, I am taking summer courses, and will be doing some research in a lab, and my goal is becoming a doctor (so Med school as most people would like to call it). In terms of graduates, I can't speak for sure because no one in iSci graduated yet Smile. Again, other iScis have different plans than mine. Hope I answered your question.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Why

PostSubject: Re: Grade 12 prospective students   Grade 12 prospective students - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 7:57 pm

Umm...just curious James, why did you enter iSci over other programs like Health Sci or even Life Sci if you want to become a doctor? Were you not sure about what you wanted to do prior to entering or do you have other reasons why you chose iSci for "premed," so to speak?

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
James SeongJun Han
Admin
James SeongJun Han

PostSubject: Re: Grade 12 prospective students   Grade 12 prospective students - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 8:30 pm

hey "Why,"
To answer your question, I knew what I wanted to do prior to entering university. First of all, there is no such thing as "premed" program in Canada (at least ones that I am aware of). In my opinion undergraduate is for experiences, and building an essential skills required for critical thinking and problem solving. Yes, I did have many other options, and I chose iSci because I want to have a solid background. When I say that, being able to think about what you already know and do additional research to find an answer is a critical skill that you need. Also, I really enjoy group work. I think going to a med school would be considered a stepping stone to what I truly want to do, not the ultimate goal.
If you are in health sciences, you learn more medical concepts from year 1. However, if you are keen enough, you can get exposed to almost anything in McMaster. It honestly does not matter where you are from. I think you can go to med school from almost anything.
Also, it seems as you may think that life science is separate from iSci. Life science is embedded in the program (for instance, I have an exam in 2 days, covering contents from cancer, etc). In second year, we have concentrations on biology, chemical biology, biochemistry, etc.
Also note that iSci is "Integrated Science" meaning there are various disciplines. Learning about different fields is actually pretty interesting Razz I think being opened is the way I approached things.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
Melissa Ling

PostSubject: Re: Grade 12 prospective students   Grade 12 prospective students - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 10:05 pm

Hi,

Just wanted to check - we will be receiving our acceptances/rejections before May @ Mac right?

thanks.
Back to top Go down
James SeongJun Han
Admin
James SeongJun Han

PostSubject: Re: Grade 12 prospective students   Grade 12 prospective students - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 10:14 pm

Hello Melissa,

Yes, you will be getting your acceptances/rejections before May@Mac.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Prateek Gupta
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Grade 12 prospective students   Grade 12 prospective students - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 21, 2011 12:37 pm

Hey Melissa,

Yeah, expect the acceptances in that first week of May. iSci is still sifting through all the supp apps!
Back to top Go down
MaryKate

PostSubject: Re: Grade 12 prospective students   Grade 12 prospective students - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 24, 2011 6:51 pm

Hey!
I was just wondering if anyone knows whether there is an exact date as to when acceptances / rejections will be sent?
Also, is there any preferance given to student who have certain extra curriculars? the reason i ask is that I participated in Shad Valley and as iSci borrows much of the Shad structure and pirinciples I did not know if that played a role in acceptances.

Thanks!

MK
Back to top Go down
James SeongJun Han
Admin
James SeongJun Han

PostSubject: Re: Grade 12 prospective students   Grade 12 prospective students - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 24, 2011 6:58 pm

Hello MaryKate,

In terms of exact date, I am not too sure. For your second question, being a Shad does not give you any preference. I am a Shad alumni myself, and you did not need to mention Shad to get in. Whatever extra-curricular you are involved in, it wouldn't matter as much, but the way you explain things would play a key role. Hope that helped Smile

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Grade 12 prospective students   Grade 12 prospective students - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Grade 12 prospective students
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2