McMaster iSci
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the student-run forum of an extremely innovative science program, Integrated Science at McMaster

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

iSci Journal Club

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Charles Yin

iSci Journal Club Empty
PostSubject: iSci Journal Club   iSci Journal Club EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 9:18 pm

Hey guys, I'm planning to start an iSci journal club. For those who haven't heard of journal clubs before, a journal club reviews current articles in scientific journals and runs short seminars on particularly interesting pieces.

What I am envisioning is having one person in the club running a seminar each week. What you'd have to do is find an current article, read/skim through it, and do a short (5-10min) informal presentation. The rest of the club will then discuss the article. If we have ~10 people interested, each person would only have to do 1 article every 2 months or so (unless people want to do more!).

I'm hoping that this club will help people keep up to date with the latest developments in science and might also help with learning how to read/write formal scientific papers.

Anyone who is interested (1st and 2nd years) please post a reply or send me an e-mail.
Back to top Go down
James SeongJun Han
Admin
James SeongJun Han

iSci Journal Club Empty
PostSubject: Re: iSci Journal Club   iSci Journal Club EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 9:43 pm

I am interested in the journal club!
Back to top Go down
Prateek Gupta
Admin

iSci Journal Club Empty
PostSubject: Re: iSci Journal Club   iSci Journal Club EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 9:48 pm

hey charles, great idea! this would be something i would definitely be interested in.
Back to top Go down
https://isci.forumotion.com
not a person

iSci Journal Club Empty
PostSubject: Re: iSci Journal Club   iSci Journal Club EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 9:58 pm

Hi Charles,
I'm definitely interested! It would be nice to have a better idea of current scientific developments.
Thanks for organizing this!
Back to top Go down
Fahim Naeem

iSci Journal Club Empty
PostSubject: Re: iSci Journal Club   iSci Journal Club EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 11:00 pm

Charles,

Definitely down for the journal club! As Solomon said, it's a great way of keeping in touch with current events/discoveries in science.
Back to top Go down
Charles Yin

iSci Journal Club Empty
PostSubject: Re: iSci Journal Club   iSci Journal Club EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 6:38 pm

The first meeting of the Journal Club will be next Wednesday at 7:00pm in the iStudy. To kick things off I'll be presenting Dr. Craig J. Venter's recent paper on the creation of artificial life.

Everyone please feel free to drop by; watching the presentation in no way obligates you to present yourself. Plus there will be food and drink!
Back to top Go down
Charles Yin

iSci Journal Club Empty
PostSubject: Re: iSci Journal Club   iSci Journal Club EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 10:27 pm

The 2nd meeting of the Journal Club will be this Wednesday (Nov 10th) at 7:00pm. We'll still be doing the Craig Venter paper. See you all there!
Back to top Go down
Charles Yin

iSci Journal Club Empty
PostSubject: Re: iSci Journal Club   iSci Journal Club EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 5:53 pm

There's been a change in time for Journal Club. We will now be meeting Wednesday at 4:00pm. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Charles Yin

iSci Journal Club Empty
PostSubject: Re: iSci Journal Club   iSci Journal Club EmptySun Nov 14, 2010 6:27 pm

Hey Guys,

The 3rd meeting of the journal club will be Wed Nov 17 at 7:00pm in the iStudy. Attendence has been pretty sparse for the past two meetings and I ask that everyone who can please, please come out. See you next Wed!

Cheers,

Charles Yin
Back to top Go down
Charles Yin

iSci Journal Club Empty
PostSubject: Re: iSci Journal Club   iSci Journal Club EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 7:38 pm

Hello once again,

The next meeting of the Journal Club will once again be at 7:00 on Wednesday in the iStudy. This week we have Hannah discussing the recent work of McMaster's Dr. Mick Bhatia on the transformation of human cell lines.

An reminder will be posted as an announcement on Avenue on Tuesday or Wednesday morning. Hope to see you guys there.

Cheers,

Charles Yin
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

iSci Journal Club Empty
PostSubject: Re: iSci Journal Club   iSci Journal Club Empty

Back to top Go down

iSci Journal Club
Page 1 of 1