McMaster iSci
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the student-run forum of an extremely innovative science program, Integrated Science at McMaster

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2

Go down 
+8
not a person
Katie Goodwin
Fahim Naeem
Emily Taylor
Mariana
Rachel Charney
Adam Pantaleo
Prateek Gupta
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Prateek Gupta
Admin

OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2 Empty
PostSubject: OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2   OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2 EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 9:52 am

Update: MOST ISSUES NOW FIXED, SIGN UP TO COURSES ASAP!!!
Post any outstanding issues of any kind here!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd like to know if there are any extenuating problems with anyone in anyway (Full courses, still saying 'failed' requisites, etc.).

With full courses, like I said in a post elsewhere, we will develop a system where whenever any of us log on to SOLAR for any reason we can check for openings, there is NO REASON to stress in these situations as there WILL be openings during this time, we just have to be a bit strategic and persistent in these cases.

With failed requisites, the only solution is to a) contact Sarah, and then b) post it on here (when you have the problem and when you have the solution) so we can keep a record of it to let everyone else know when it is resolved. As it stands, everything should be resolved!!

Also, all of us students have done a lot of research and have encountered a lot of problems and then have found solutions, so don't be afraid to post things on here, as one of us likely has the solution to your problem, or at least can lend advice to it.

Official Course Problem Lists:

Also, please post all course codes that you are getting 'failed' status for here!!
When a course has been fixed, I will put a strikethrough, indicating it is now clear for sign up.

Courses with FAILED prerequisites:
ISCI-2A18
CHEM/CHEM BIO 2OA3
CHEM/CHEM BIO 2OB3
CHEM 2LA3
CHEM 2LB3
CHEM BIO 2AA3
CHEM BIO 2A03
CHEM BIO 2L03
BIOCHEM 2L06
EARTH SCI/ENVIRO SCI 2GI3
EARTH SCI/ENVIRO SCI 2I03
MEDPHYS 2A03
STATS 2D03

Courses that are currently FULL that we are on the lookout for:

PSYCH 2TT3 (Also, is anybody still struggling to get into this, or has this totally been resolved)
??? (Please let us know so we can help)

Additional Problems

none as it stands

Last edited by Prateek Gupta on Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:20 am; edited 22 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://isci.forumotion.com
Adam Pantaleo

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2   OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2 EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 10:00 am

As of last night, I couldn't get into:
ISCI 2A18
CHEM 2LA3
CHEM 2LB3

I haven't tried again yet since then.
Back to top Go down
Adam Pantaleo

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2   OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2 EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 10:33 am

It's fixed, according to an email I just got from Sarah. Go register NOW!
Back to top Go down
Adam Pantaleo

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2   OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2 EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 10:36 am

So, I can now get ISCI 2A18, but I still can't get CHEM 2LA3 and CHEM 2LB3.
Back to top Go down
Rachel Charney

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2   OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2 EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 10:43 am

The psych course that I need for my concentration, and which is currently full, is 2TT3 (animal behaviour)
Back to top Go down
Prateek Gupta
Admin

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2   OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2 EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 10:44 am

OK, Adam, send a message to Sarah, she seems to be fixing things pretty quickly, she may have just forgot to update those 2 (hopefully that is the case).

Also for Krista/Rachel C, post those codes for the Psych Courses that are causing you problems because they are Full, so they are all documented in a centralized location.

Also, for everyone else, post ANY course you are having problems for, for ANY reason... we want everyone to get exactly what they want! And we'll do the best we can to help you.

One problem I've been having is 30+ unit course load is not working (I'm trying to take 33 credits).. if anyone has found a way to get around this, let me know!
Back to top Go down
Adam Pantaleo

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2   OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2 EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 11:46 am

CHEM 2LA3 works now. CHEM 2LB3 still gives "failed."
Back to top Go down
Mariana

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2   OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2 EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 11:55 am

How do we pick lab times and tutorial slots and things :S The options don't come up when I pick the courses
Back to top Go down
Adam Pantaleo

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2   OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2 EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 11:57 am

CHEM 2LB3 works now too! All is good for anyone doing a chem concentration.

And Mariana, we don't get to pick lab and tutorial times right now. We can only do that when SOLAR reopens later this summer. I think there's a post on the forum about this.
Back to top Go down
Emily Taylor

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2   OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2 EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 12:08 pm

Prateek - you have to have special permission to take more than 30 units of courses!! SOLAR will only allow you to register for 30 units unless the registrar goes in and allows you to!
Back to top Go down
Rachel Charney

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2   OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2 EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 12:17 pm

I got in to animal behaviour!
Back to top Go down
Fahim Naeem

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2   OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2 EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 1:09 pm

CHEM BIO 2A03 is not letting me in because of the "prerequisite" issue. I have emailed Sarah about it though. Will keep y'alls posted.
Back to top Go down
Prateek Gupta
Admin

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2   OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2 EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 2:03 pm

Emily - Cool, should I just contact Sarah, or do I have to do something else for that?

Rachel - congrats! that's great news. hopefully krista will be able to get in as well!

Adam - also great news! If only this was all done yesterday so we had less stress today haha

Fahim - hmm, apparently that course was fixed, yeah hopefully Sarah gets back to you soon, if I get information sooner I'll let you know.

Mariana - Yeah, I was confused too, but I confirmed what Adam said with some other people who aren't in iSci, and we can sign up later.
Back to top Go down
Fahim Naeem

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2   OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2 EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 3:02 pm

Still not fixed.
Back to top Go down
Prateek Gupta
Admin

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2   OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2 EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 4:49 pm

OK, if anyone has successfully enrolled in Chem Bio 2A03 or Biochem 2L06, please post your story and how you did it here!

These seem to be the only two courses left quoting failed requisites. (If there are more please update this... we should all know before SOLAR opens up to more individuals, in which case the courses we like might be full).
Back to top Go down
Mariana

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2   OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2 EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 9:59 pm

Alrighty thanks Adam/Prateek, wasn't sure if this was just another issue we were having Razz

Hopefully everyone can get into everything!
Back to top Go down
Katie Goodwin

Katie Goodwin

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2   OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2 EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 6:49 am

I got into chem 2OA3 and 2OB3 fine - if you're having trouble maybe try registering for 2OA3 first and then 2OB3....otherwise I don't know. Also, I'm probably the only person with this problem, but I couldn't get into Medphys 2A03...I emailed sarah last night and she's dealing with it this morning.
Back to top Go down
Prateek Gupta
Admin

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2   OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2 EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 8:59 am

cool, yeah admin is aware of the medical physics course causing problems.

don't worry you will get in though!

apparently the medical physics department is very keen in involvement with isci... they may even play a part in the cancer project for first years next year (hint for first years creeping this haha)
Back to top Go down
Fahim Naeem

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2   OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2 EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 2:44 pm

CHEM BIO 2AA3/CHEM BIO 2A03 is now behaving. Please note that Sarah has now asked us to register in CHEM BIO 2AA3 and not CHEM BIO 2A03.

And Prateek, feel free to take CHEM BIO 2OA3 off of the list. I'm pretty sure that that one never gave us any issues.
Back to top Go down
Prateek Gupta
Admin

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2   OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2 EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 4:32 pm

Fahim: Noted.

Katie: Has your course problem been resolved?

Everyone:

Also, I'd like to know if there are any extenuating problems with anyone in anyway (Full courses, still saying 'failed' requisites, etc.). With full courses, like I said, we can all develop a system where whenever any of us log on to SOLAR for any reason we can check for openings, there is NO REASON to stress in these situations as there WILL be openings during this time, we just have to be a bit strategic and persistent in these cases. With failed requisites, the only solution is to a) contact Sarah, and then b) post it on here (when you have the problem and when you have the solution) so we can keep a record of it to let everyone else know when it is resolved.

Also, all of us students have done a lot of research and have encountered a lot of problems and then have found solutions, so don't be afraid to post things on here, as one of us likely has the solution to your problem, or at least can lend advice to it.
Back to top Go down
not a person

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2   OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2 EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 5:49 pm

Does anyone know anything about biology 2C03 (genetics, required for bio concentration)? The course calendar notes that it has "limited enrolment". What exactly does this mean? I am currently registered in the semester 1 section, but need to be in the semester 2 one. Any advice?

Also, when does SOLAR reopen to choose lab and tutorial sections for our non-iSci courses?
Back to top Go down
Hyuck Won

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2   OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2 EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 8:09 pm

Has anyone register biochem 2L06?
I still cannot register it because of the prerequisite issue...
Back to top Go down
Prateek Gupta
Admin

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2   OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2 EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 9:18 pm

Hyuck: From what I've heard of others, people were able to get into biochem-2L06... the only obstacle I envision is that you must be registered in a biochem or chem concentration to be able to take the course. Try to contact some of the biochem people to see how they got in.

Solomon: Is Biology 2C03 full for the 2nd semester session? I'm a bit confused on your problem. All I know is that you cannot sign up for the same course twice, so I'm pretty sure you will not be able to sign up for the course second semester until you drop the course first semester. Not sure about the 'limited enrolment' thing, try contacting others in Bio concentration, perhaps start a new thread here explaining the issue in a bit more detail.
Back to top Go down
Joshua.Simmonds

Joshua.Simmonds

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2   OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2 EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 2:32 am

Stats 2D03 is not working. SOLAR says that I do not have the prerequisites, even though iSci 1A24 is one of the possible prerequisites.
Back to top Go down
Scot Brown

Scot Brown

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2   OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2 EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 8:52 am

that is because iSci 2A18 is an anti requisite. we will be covering stats 2D03 in 2A18
Back to top Go down
Prateek Gupta
Admin

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2   OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2 EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 9:30 am

^^Stats 2D03 is not a prerequisite (regardless of what the Master Course Timetable says)! It was recently changed. We had an e-mail earlier regarding this issue, and also:

From Miroslav's 2A18 website: http://www.math.mcmaster.ca/lovric/2A18math.html

iSci 1A24 does not provide equivalence with Stats 2D03. If you are interested in statistics, and wish to take other statistics courses, you need to take Stats 2D03 as an elective.

This is rather unfortunate, because Stats appears in Math, Psychology, Biology, and Earth Sci (in Earth sci, it's under the guise of "Earth Sci 2MB3" which is essentially a watered down version of this true Stats course). But I guess the profs could only fit so much math into our packed curriculum.

My guess is the system has not been changed to accommodate this recent change to the iSci-2A18 curriculum. I would advise you to message Sarah regarding this, simply stating that the system will not let you into Stats-2D03 due to "failed requisites" and CC Miroslav in the message so that he's aware as well.

And post back here when the issue has been resolved!
Back to top Go down
Joshua.Simmonds

Joshua.Simmonds

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2   OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2 EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 1:39 pm

Sarah has fixed the requisite issue with Stats 2D03. It works now.
Back to top Go down
Nicholas Pun

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2   OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2 EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 4:39 pm

Do you have to be in the math concentration because i can't get into it.
Back to top Go down
Fahim Naeem

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2   OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2 EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 7:01 pm

I think it's open to everyone so long as you meet the prerequisites, which you do!
Back to top Go down
Nicholas Pun

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2   OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2 EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 11:06 pm

umm i tried on solar and i got rejected?
Back to top Go down
Nicholas Pun

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2   OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2 EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 1:56 am

i get this message: You do not have the academic requisites for course: STATS 2D03 1 D
Back to top Go down
Fahim Naeem

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2   OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2 EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 12:06 am

Contact Sarah if you haven't already!
Back to top Go down
Scot Brown

Scot Brown

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2   OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2 EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 9:29 am

are we not covering stats 2D03 in iSci?
Back to top Go down
Rachel Charney

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2   OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2 EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 5:00 pm

If you check the iSci website or Miroslav's, it says that iSci will no longer cover 2D03. If you need stats to take 3rd year courses but don't have room in your schedule let me know.
Back to top Go down
not a person

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2   OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2 EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 7:48 am

Does anyone know when SOLAR re-opens to choose lab and tutorial sections?
Back to top Go down
Adam Pantaleo

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2   OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2 EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 3:36 pm

I have two dates marked in my calendar: July 12 and August 11. If I have this right:
- The first date is when we can get back into SOLAR to modify our courses
- The second date is when we can choose lab and tutorial sections

Can someone confirm this? I'm not entirely sure.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2   OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2 Empty

Back to top Go down

OFFICIAL: SOLAR ISSUES Update #2
Page 1 of 1