McMaster iSci
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the student-run forum of an extremely innovative science program, Integrated Science at McMaster

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Textbook List for Fall 2010

Go down 
+4
Adam Pantaleo
Emily Taylor
Ryan Hopkins
Fahim Naeem
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Fahim Naeem

Textbook List for Fall 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Textbook List for Fall 2010   Textbook List for Fall 2010 EmptySun Aug 01, 2010 5:08 pm

The textbook list will be released on Friday, August 6, 2010. Textbooks will be listed by course here: http://titles.mcmaster.ca/text/departments.htm. Enjoy the last few weeks of summer!
Back to top Go down
Ryan Hopkins

PostSubject: Re: Textbook List for Fall 2010   Textbook List for Fall 2010 EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 11:31 am

Cool! Okay, do you suggest we get the textbooks that we need for iSci sooner rather than latter? I know people are suggesting waiting until the first week of class especially for electives, just to be sure (After we get a reading list). But can we be confident in buying the iSci books in the next couple weeks?
Back to top Go down
Emily Taylor

PostSubject: Re: Textbook List for Fall 2010   Textbook List for Fall 2010 EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 12:42 am

Ryan,
I bought all of my text books in August before coming to school! I liked knowing that I had all of them already and that I didn't have to worry about the "September Rush" for textbooks which happens over the first two weeks of school. Also, if you want to buy used books, you may have a better chance of getting them sooner rather than later because they may all get snatched up before school starts. I bought all new textbooks but, that was just my personal preference. Plus you also get CDs, and access codes for the book website when you buy new books. However, in chemistry this past year our prof provided codes to those who didn't buy new textbooks. And a lot of the time new textbooks come with solution manuals or answer guides that you can't buy used. So I definitely think you can be confident in buying yhr iSci textbooks within the next couple weeks. I will mention that I did wait to buy my elective text book after the first class just to make sure that I would like it first. Hope that helped Smile
Back to top Go down
Ryan Hopkins

PostSubject: Re: Textbook List for Fall 2010   Textbook List for Fall 2010 EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 12:50 am

Okay awesome! I'm really excited to get them for some reason Razz. I'm also thinking of buying new text books, but I'm definitely going to see if there are some lightly abused used ones kicking around. I sort of like the idea of having those 'extras' that come with buying new books. Thanks for the response Emily Smile.
Back to top Go down
Emily Taylor

PostSubject: Re: Textbook List for Fall 2010   Textbook List for Fall 2010 EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 12:58 am

Yes, they are quite exciting to buy!! And that's a good idea - I just really have a thing for new textbooks, I am not sure why though Razz lol The extras are definitely good to have. For some of the textbooks you can get them online with the CDs/codes which is nice because then you won't have to lug your books around all of the time. No problem, glad I could help Smile
Back to top Go down
Adam Pantaleo

PostSubject: Re: Textbook List for Fall 2010   Textbook List for Fall 2010 EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 9:34 pm

I also like buying new textbooks! I think it's worth it - not only do you get a perfect-condition book (which you can keep for future reference... I already have a "university textbook" shelf going), but you also get all of those "extras" that help you out (solution manuals, online access, etc.).

And to be honest, I'm slightly excited about buying books this year too. =P
Back to top Go down
Prateek Gupta
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Textbook List for Fall 2010   Textbook List for Fall 2010 EmptySat Aug 07, 2010 6:11 pm

texbooks are released!

http://titles.mcmaster.ca/text/courses.htm?whichdept=ISCI

Not too much for us 2nd year iSci -- a quantum textbook, neuropsych textbook, and optional ecology paperback -- in addition to calculus which we already have. i'm guessing thermo will come from those units we didn't do in both our physics and chem textbooks. not sure about biochem and earth history (maybe they will be announced later?)

Also the Lovric optional book looks interesting in 1st years, I might pick it up. "Calculus fear no more"
Back to top Go down
https://isci.forumotion.com
Fahim Naeem

PostSubject: Re: Textbook List for Fall 2010   Textbook List for Fall 2010 EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 4:16 pm

"Calculus: Fear No More" is the same thing as the Mathematics Review Manual I believe. It covers high school basics such as algebra, geometry, functions, beginner calculus, and also discusses the transition from high school to university.

@Ryan and Adam: nice to hear you're excited about buying those books Smile
Back to top Go down
Adam Pantaleo

PostSubject: Re: Textbook List for Fall 2010   Textbook List for Fall 2010 EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 4:55 pm

Cool! Lovric's book *is* an updated version of the Mathematics Review Manual!

You can still get the old version for free here:
http://www.math.mcmaster.ca/lovric/rm.html

This manual was what they gave us to review math over the summer before classes started (similar to the chem/bio/physics "top-ups").
Back to top Go down
Fahim Naeem

PostSubject: Re: Textbook List for Fall 2010   Textbook List for Fall 2010 EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 10:51 pm

In case you don't already know, you will need to purchase the following items in addition to your textbooks:
- lab coat
- safety goggles
- lab notebook with duplicate copies (we use this specific one last year: http://haydenmcneilspecialtyproducts.com/products/chemistry-top-bound.html?phpMyAdmin=9f16fa2e45f2e172eb7fd0c4e0880303)
- standard McMaster University calculator (Casio fx-991MS) --> this will be the only calculator allowed for tests at McMaster, so please do not settle for anything else Smile (Image:http://edu.casio.com/products/standard/fx991ms/closeup_fx991ms.html)

*All of the above items are available at Titles (McMaster bookstore), but feel free to buy them from elsewhere if you want. If you already own a pair of safety goggles, please ensure that they offer protection from the sides, otherwise you will not be allowed to use them.*
*Sorry for the rant-like post.
Back to top Go down
Jyssika Russell

PostSubject: Re: Textbook List for Fall 2010   Textbook List for Fall 2010 EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 12:22 am

Note: buy your calc from Titles. I bought mine from Grand & Toy, thinking it would be cheaper, but nope, it was $13 more expensive there.

and yay for 2013 only having to buy 3 textbooks!
Back to top Go down
not a person

PostSubject: Re: Textbook List for Fall 2010   Textbook List for Fall 2010 EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 9:02 pm

I'm going to go against everyone else and advise not to get textbooks yet. When you get to campus, you will find lots of upper years (community advisors in residence, welcome week reps, and us of course) who will want to send you textbooks for a better price than the used ones from titles. Many students are very happy to include solutions manuals and other resources that came with the original textbook in the sale. If you don't have a textbook for the first few weeks, it really isn't a big deal. Some professors barely even refer to the textbook and you can always borrow from your classmates or use the communal textbooks in the istudy space. I guess it comes down to personal preference, but I just wanted to say that not everyone bought new textbooks beforehand as Emily and Adam did.
Back to top Go down
Emily Taylor

PostSubject: Re: Textbook List for Fall 2010   Textbook List for Fall 2010 EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 5:38 pm

To go along with Solomon's response - they do have used text books available at titles beforehand. However, they do tend to get bought up quick quickly as a lot of people would prefer to pay less for a used one. So if you end up not finding someone who wants to sell you the textbook you need, all of the used ones from titles may be sold and you will be stuck buying a new textbook!
Back to top Go down
Fahim Naeem

PostSubject: Re: Textbook List for Fall 2010   Textbook List for Fall 2010 EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 5:55 pm

Jyssika, you spoke too soon. The booklist has been updated as of today. Check it: http://titles.mcmaster.ca/text/sections.htm?whichdept=ISCI&whichcourse=2A18
Back to top Go down
Prateek Gupta
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Textbook List for Fall 2010   Textbook List for Fall 2010 EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 6:33 pm

wow -- those bio and chem additions are killer money-wise. hopefully for the optionals, circulating a couple around the istudy will work well.

also for us, i'm probably only going to buy the neuroscience textbook first (that's our first unit), and just buy the books as the units come, so i won't break the bank all at once.
Back to top Go down
Fahim Naeem

PostSubject: Re: Textbook List for Fall 2010   Textbook List for Fall 2010 EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 9:55 pm

Biochem isn't until term 2, so I will hold off on buying that one for now. only problem with buying the books as the units come is that it will tough to find used copies in the middle of the term.
Back to top Go down
Ryan Hopkins

PostSubject: Re: Textbook List for Fall 2010   Textbook List for Fall 2010 EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 11:25 pm

For the 1A24 Chemistry textbook, I was a little bit confused. There wasn't any 3 pack with the author Petrucci, but there was a three pack that had the auther Chang. I didn't buy it because I just really wanted to make sure. Is it Chang or Petrucci (I know the booklist says Petrucci, I'm just confused because it wasn't there! Razz)?
Back to top Go down
Fahim Naeem

PostSubject: Re: Textbook List for Fall 2010   Textbook List for Fall 2010 EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 11:45 pm

You will definitely be using the text by Petrucci et al. The 3-part package refers to the text, selected solutions manual, and the Media Pack. I don't think many of us used the Media Pack. In fact, some of us did not even crack it open. so if you are going to buy a used version, all you really need is the book and the solutions manual. At Titles (bookstore) you can always double check with the staff there; they are knowledgeable and can double check things for you. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Fahim Naeem on Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ryan Hopkins

PostSubject: Re: Textbook List for Fall 2010   Textbook List for Fall 2010 EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 11:52 pm

Okay! Thanks for clearing that up aha Smile.
Back to top Go down
hannahd

PostSubject: textbooks   Textbook List for Fall 2010 EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 6:50 pm

Hi, I was wondering what it means when it says "with Mastering Physics" next to the textbook. Is that something that generally comes with the textbook, or does it only come when you buy it new from Titles? Thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
Prateek Gupta
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Textbook List for Fall 2010   Textbook List for Fall 2010 EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 9:04 pm

hey,

mastering physics is essentially a code that will allow you to access this site: http://www.masteringphysics.com/, which has in depth tutorials, quizzes, and I believe has chapters of the textbook online.

I bought a used copy and so did not have access to the site. I believe you can only get access with the new/packaged version.

I think many students were fine without Mastering Physics -- some bought older editions of the textbook too because it was cheaper.

However, my friend Kieran used Mastering Physics and found it extremely helpful -- he didn't have a strong high school background in physics. Looking back (for me personally) I would have spent the extra cash to get the new copy and Mastering Physics.

Anybody else please correct me if I'm wrong!!
Back to top Go down
James.Boudreau (III)

PostSubject: Re: Textbook List for Fall 2010   Textbook List for Fall 2010 EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 5:40 pm

For any first years who have not bought textbooks yet, I could sell them the physics, chemistry and bio texts for first year. Reply if interested, or wait till monday when we have class together
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Textbook List for Fall 2010   Textbook List for Fall 2010 Empty

Back to top Go down

Textbook List for Fall 2010
Page 1 of 1