McMaster iSci
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the student-run forum of an extremely innovative science program, Integrated Science at McMaster

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Math in iSci

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Octet

Math in iSci Empty
PostSubject: Math in iSci   Math in iSci EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 11:01 am

Hello,

I'm currently thinking of applying to iSci (only 2 weeks left!) and was wondering about the amount of math involved.
Is it intensive?

Also, is any one here formerly from the I.B program?
Does it actually provide an advantage in iSci or is the material irrelevant?

As a final question, I was wondering if the admission team would accept a summer school credit? My school doesn't let anyone take all 3 sciences in the IB program so I took Physics over the summer.

Let me know,
Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Charles Yin

Math in iSci Empty
PostSubject: Re: Math in iSci   Math in iSci EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 11:03 pm

Hi Octet,

The mathematics component of ISCI 1A24 provides the equivalency of MATH 1X03 and 1XX3, which are the introductory calculus courses for math majors. We cover (in theory) the same material at a similar level to those courses.

That being said, math in iSci is very much applied in its nature and the focus will be on using the concepts you learn to solve problems in the research projects. Whether or not it is "intensive" really depends on what your idea of intensive is, but in my opinion it wasn't killer. We have a great math instructor and that helped a lot!

I wasn't in IB, so I can't comment on your second question. However, it is not so much the material but rather your creativity and problem solving skills that will provide you an advantage in iSci. Knowing how to work effectively and research independently is more important than any rote knowledge.

I don't think the admission team would have a problem with your summer credit. You should also keep in mind that having all three sciences isn't an application requirement so even if that credit isn't accepted, your application should still be OK.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Cheers,

Charles
Back to top Go down
Octet

Math in iSci Empty
PostSubject: Re: Math in iSci   Math in iSci EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 11:25 pm

Hello Charles,

Thanks for the info! It really helped.
Math looks to be applied which is a definite plus for me.

Summer school Physics is not an issue, so that's awesome too.

Happy New Year!
-Asim
Back to top Go down
douglasc

Math in iSci Empty
PostSubject: Re: Math in iSci   Math in iSci EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 10:21 pm

Hey Octet,

Former I.B. student here now in first year of iSci. If you get in you might be a minority in your year; only 3 out of our 54 this year were from IB.

I, like you, couldn't take IB Higher Physics so I took grade 12 physics after the summer of grade 10. Looking back, I would recommend you take it this summer to refresh your memory. The prof moves at a fairly quick pace and speeding through new material can be challenging.

I definitely don't think the material you learn in IB is "irrelevant". For example : If you did Option G chemistry, you'll find the Orgo in first year easier to grasp, and you'll have basic understanding of the details in the second year course (There was a take the first years to an upper year class concentration day and the prof blazed through a chunk of the syllabus in an hour). Besides if you're intuitive, you'll find ways to apply your knowledge in some pretty unexpected ways.

Hope this helps, and as for the app and its fate, may the odds be ever in your favour.

Doug
Back to top Go down
Octet

Math in iSci Empty
PostSubject: Re: Math in iSci   Math in iSci EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 11:06 pm

Thanks everybody!

Your responses were really helpful; seriously considering McMaster ISci. Smile
If I don't get in, well there's always lifesci!

I was like OMG hunger games reference. Yussss.

Thanks again,
Asim
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Math in iSci Empty
PostSubject: Re: Math in iSci   Math in iSci Empty

Back to top Go down

Math in iSci
Page 1 of 1