McMaster iSci
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the student-run forum of an extremely innovative science program, Integrated Science at McMaster

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Textbooks! +Other stuff

Go down 
+3
Prateek Gupta
Scot Brown
Ryan Hopkins
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Ryan Hopkins

Textbooks! +Other stuff Empty
PostSubject: Textbooks! +Other stuff   Textbooks! +Other stuff EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 1:57 pm

Easy question: Approximately how much (you know...estimation) were books for you iSci 2013's last year? Just trying to get a general sense of how much this year will cost me! Or any other additional fees you may have had to pay...you know...any fees you guys specifically (or everyone in general) had to pay!

Thanks Smile
Ry!
Back to top Go down
Scot Brown

Scot Brown

PostSubject: Re: Textbooks! +Other stuff   Textbooks! +Other stuff EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 5:03 pm

it isnt really an easy question. it depends how much time you are willing to spend looking for good prices on used textbooks. if you get all new, it can get pretty expensive and used books can be found for less than half price. I am not good at price estimates, so I will leave that to someone else.
Back to top Go down
Prateek Gupta
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Textbooks! +Other stuff   Textbooks! +Other stuff EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 6:37 pm

Hey man, I bought most of mine new, or they were either the 'used' ones from the bookstore... the only one I already had was the math textbook, (which was the same one if you ever did AP calculus).

So not including math textbook/solutions manual, I think it was close to $600 for me. If you don't have the math textbook, it may be up to $700 (if you get everything from the bookstore). I know some people saved conisiderably buying from other students.

This is including the "optional" earth science textbook, which I would recommend.

You will need the chemistry textbook, (and solutions manual if you want), physics textbook, two biology textbooks, calculus and solutions, Sci Lit courseware, and the book "On Writing Well" (though this may change for you guys). You will also need texts for your Electives (I did not include this in my count because I already had my geography textbook) And these electives often have courseware as well.

I think you will also have a Lab Courseware that will likely have a fee on it. You will also need a lab coat, safety glasses, a specific calculator found at Mac (though you can probably get it cheaper elsewhere), and an iClicker.

So yeah, it's a lot.
Back to top Go down
https://isci.forumotion.com
James SeongJun Han
Admin
James SeongJun Han

PostSubject: Re: Textbooks! +Other stuff   Textbooks! +Other stuff EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 7:47 pm

yo, I heard something about Big Sibs thing and how they r gonna sell the txtbooks?? Just wondering, are they actually planning to sell the txtbooks? or are they going to keep them? because if they are keeping it, i think it would b wiser for us to buy used one from someone else before its taken away Smile
Back to top Go down
Krista Stemmler

Krista Stemmler

PostSubject: Re: Textbooks! +Other stuff   Textbooks! +Other stuff EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 11:42 am

Yikes Prateek, $600 for your textbooks! I spent $125 on my iSci textbooks and got nearly everything used and bought directly from the students.

Physics, chemistry, biology, and calculus textbooks can be bought used from nearly any sciences student (I payed $70, $80, $60, and $0, respectively). I didn't buy the earth sciences textbook, and instead put time aside to read it in iStudy and make notes. The SciLit courseware and book we had to get new, as they hadn't been used before. Those books ran at about $35 total, I believe (correct me if I'm wrong). iClickers you can also get used from students in various programs.

If you want to save money and buy used textbooks, don't forget to check out what the differences are between the current and older versions of the textbook. In many cases (ie. the physics and calculus books) the newer versions just have a prettier cover and the chapters are rearranged. I got by fine with older versions of both of those textbooks, but you have to put in the initiative to ask professors for the readings and question sets in case they are different.

http://icbb.sellmytextbooks.org/members/17/index.cfm?index=CLASSIFIEDS
(Once you have your book list click "Search Classifieds", search for your books, and email the people you want to buy from...its easy)
Back to top Go down
Ryan Hopkins

PostSubject: Re: Textbooks! +Other stuff   Textbooks! +Other stuff EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 11:53 am

Thanks, fellas! That gives me a good ball park estimate to aim at Smile.
Back to top Go down
Prateek Gupta
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Textbooks! +Other stuff   Textbooks! +Other stuff EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 6:29 pm

haha ok. i think the message is, try to wheel deals like krista, that's actually so legit, and don't do what i did (though if you want new textbooks -- which do have some benefits, like for example the new physics textbook gives a one-use code access to an online tutorial-type program called "mastering physics," i think bio had a similar type online program too, and the chemistry comes with CD versions of labs, etc., and the calculus came with a CD also that covered some practise questions -- you will have to shell out the cash).

as for textbooks. i think you'll see our year try to sell you guys our bio, chem, and earth sci textbooks. as for physics and math, i think those are required for the second year curriculum too, (physics for thermo unit, and calculus continues)... so if you're really keen on those, i'd advise to not ask iScis. also, remember that you will be slightly outnumbering our year, so not all of you can depend on buying textbooks from us (also some of us may not want to sell ours for whatever reason -- younger siblings, reference material, etc.).
Back to top Go down
https://isci.forumotion.com
Ryan Hopkins

PostSubject: Re: Textbooks! +Other stuff   Textbooks! +Other stuff EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 7:28 pm

Are the same text books going to be used this year as well? When can we expect a book list?
Back to top Go down
Fahim Naeem

PostSubject: Re: Textbooks! +Other stuff   Textbooks! +Other stuff EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 8:46 pm

Most texts will remain the same. The chemistry and Biology ones will be in a newer edition, but again you can always purchase older editions, after consulting your profs. A book list will be available close to the end of August (last year, it was 17 August 2009) on the bookstore website.
Back to top Go down
Ryan Hopkins

PostSubject: Re: Textbooks! +Other stuff   Textbooks! +Other stuff EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 1:48 am

Cool Smile. Thanks Fahim! You iSci 2013 er's always seem to have the answers to my questions Smile.
Back to top Go down
Fahim Naeem

PostSubject: Re: Textbooks! +Other stuff   Textbooks! +Other stuff EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 10:56 am

You're welcome!
Back to top Go down
not a person

PostSubject: Re: Textbooks! +Other stuff   Textbooks! +Other stuff EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 7:13 pm

If anyone hasn't yet bought a math textbook, I'm trying to sell mine.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Textbooks! +Other stuff   Textbooks! +Other stuff Empty

Back to top Go down

Textbooks! +Other stuff
Page 1 of 1