McMaster iSci
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the student-run forum of an extremely innovative science program, Integrated Science at McMaster

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Medical School requirements

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Pratik Samant

Medical School requirements Empty
PostSubject: Medical School requirements   Medical School requirements EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 3:17 pm

Hey all,
I'm totally pumped for the new year and meeting the community Smile

That being said, I did have a question, particularly for upper years. I am a medical school hopeful and was wondering if there is anything in particular that you suggest I should do to increase my chances of making it. I know that volunteering is important so I am planning to join EFRT and the fundraising team, and I am hoping to start research as soon as possible too. However I am slightly paranoid that I am missing something, especially in terms of academic prerequisites. Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Charles Yin

PostSubject: Re: Medical School requirements   Medical School requirements EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 5:13 pm

From my (admittedly limited) understanding, academic requirements tend to vary between schools, so I'd suggest checking out their webpages. But, generally you'll need at least the first organic chem (some schools recommend/require both). Some schools also require a full year (i.e. two courses) of biochemistry, anatomy and something in the humanities. If you decide to concentrate in biochemistry or chemical biology in Year II, you'll have orgo and biochem covered. I've heard that anatomy is difficult to schedule with iSci, but I think its mostly the US schools that require them anyways. The humanities requirement you can meet using your elective space. But keep in mind that most Canadian schools don't have very specific requirements, so its up to you how much of this you want to do.

On a side note, the MCAT is notorious for having a reading/verbal comprehesion section, so I'd reccommend you start boning up on Canadian/American politics, history and current issues. There are also a number of Year III iSci's who've written the MCAT already, so I'm sure they can help you out once you get here in September. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Charles Yin
Back to top Go down
James SeongJun Han
Admin
James SeongJun Han

PostSubject: Re: Medical School requirements   Medical School requirements EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 11:20 pm

Hey Pratik,

I think Charles did a brilliant job in explaining things. So don't worry about academic prerequisites (I mean people who are in humanities or music can also get into med school). Charles brought a very good point regarding MCAT. All sciences component can be studied easily because we are in iSci, but verbal reasoning is a bit of challenge. You should be more familiar with Canadian/American history and politics.

One thing I wanted to add, when you join club, join ones that you are truly interested in. Do it for your interest, not just for med school. Plus, some med school don't event ask you your extra-curriculars in their interview. I know McMaster's previous med school essay questions, and they ask you to talk about what you learned from your extra-curriculars, not how many health related clubs you've joined.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
Nicholas Pun

PostSubject: Re: Medical School requirements   Medical School requirements EmptyThu Sep 08, 2011 7:36 am

hey pratik,

i am one of those above mentioned 3rd year iscis who wrote the mcat and if you have any questions about it feel free to ask me in person (its easier to explain that way) also, it is only the writing section that might require previous humanities knowledge not the reading comp section which is solely based on thenpassage and some luck Smile.

nick
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Medical School requirements   Medical School requirements Empty

Back to top Go down

Medical School requirements
Page 1 of 1