McMaster iSci
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the student-run forum of an extremely innovative science program, Integrated Science at McMaster

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Requirements

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
dj_boudy

Requirements Empty
PostSubject: Requirements   Requirements EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 9:34 pm

My guidance counselor says that the required 40 hours of community service is not what they are looking for in this course. She said that they are looking for outgoing students that are involved in a lot of school activities, and have upwards too 100+ hours of community service.

so my question is, does community hours affect your chances of being accepted into this program?
Back to top Go down
Charles Yin

Requirements Empty
PostSubject: Re: Requirements   Requirements EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 1:23 pm

Hello,

While community service does play a role, it is most likely limited to giving you something to talk about on the supplementary application. The notion that 100+ community service hours are needed is completely false. I personally had much less than that number. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Charles
Back to top Go down
Sean Ridout

Sean Ridout

Requirements Empty
PostSubject: Re: Requirements   Requirements EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 9:27 pm

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it .
Back to top Go down
Prateek Gupta
Admin

Requirements Empty
PostSubject: Re: Requirements   Requirements EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 9:33 pm

Thanks for your interest. While it is true that we are looking for students involved in a variety of different activities -- there is by no means any strict requirements for this. The program is looking for students passionate about science and excited about learning through the model that Integrated Science has. So long as you can talk about some life experiences (whether just 1 that has really affected you and motivated you, or a variety that have each shaped who you are), that would be sufficient for the supplemental application.

And we have a mixture of shy and outgoing students within the program, I would make no real distinction there. The program does emphasize skills in scientific communication -- whether that's written, visual, or oral, and groupwork is also a huge component, where you'll need to effectively interact and work with other students -- so only in this regard, may a more outgoing student have an advantage, but these are skills that you will learn to develop through the program if not.
Back to top Go down
https://isci.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

Requirements Empty
PostSubject: Re: Requirements   Requirements Empty

Back to top Go down

Requirements
Page 1 of 1