McMaster iSci
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the student-run forum of an extremely innovative science program, Integrated Science at McMaster

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

To Prospective Students

Go down 
+3
Nicholas Pun
Melissa Ling
Prateek Gupta
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Prateek Gupta
Admin

To Prospective Students Empty
PostSubject: To Prospective Students   To Prospective Students EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 1:56 am

Hey, we'd all like to answer your questions here in iSci.

The one message board "Prospective Students" is becoming a bit congested.

If you are a newcomer, please visit the official website and FAQ here first, then feel free to ask questions away, preferably as a new forum topic under this message board!

Any academic or social questions about the program, we are more than happy to answer your questions! Good luck on your applications Smile

Thanks,

iSci Society VP Communications,

Prateek
Back to top Go down
https://isci.forumotion.com
Melissa Ling

PostSubject: Re: To Prospective Students   To Prospective Students EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 1:14 am

Hi,

I'm extremely interested in the iSci program - it looks amazing! I'm just curious though, who and how many people will be looking at the supplementary applications? Also, how many people are you expecting to apply this year (for Fall 2011)?

Thanks in advance! Smile
Back to top Go down
Nicholas Pun

PostSubject: Re: To Prospective Students   To Prospective Students EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 1:35 am

I'm not sure exactly how many people are actually going to look at the supplementary application, but it'll definitely be several people, and I would think maybe 1000 applications? just to throw it out there, i think we had 300 for the first cohort of applicants, and i can see that number only increasing.
Back to top Go down
Joshua.Simmonds

Joshua.Simmonds

PostSubject: Re: To Prospective Students   To Prospective Students EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 4:42 pm

I believe the number is actually more like 500 applicants. And all (or at least most) of the iTeach team will look at the supplementary applications.
Back to top Go down
Sarah McPherson

PostSubject: Re: To Prospective Students   To Prospective Students EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 5:15 pm

Hi,
I was just wondering if any of you guys know anything about how much the profs or other people (I think you called them the 'iTeach team') reading the supplementary applications use the two references we had to supply. Do they really take what they say into a huge amount of consideration, or is it just to back up what we said on our application? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Melissa Ling

PostSubject: Re: To Prospective Students   To Prospective Students EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 6:43 pm

Ok, thanks for the speedy replies!
Back to top Go down
James SeongJun Han
Admin
James SeongJun Han

PostSubject: Re: To Prospective Students   To Prospective Students EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 9:15 pm

Hello Sarah
iTeach do not release those kinds of information to us. However, it would be logical to think that the two references are more of a back up.
On the other hand, it would be a wise idea to have two good references.
Cheers,
Back to top Go down
Sarah McPherson

PostSubject: Re: To Prospective Students   To Prospective Students EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 9:41 pm

Okay, thanks. I've already sent in my application and I was just wondering. Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
Prateek Gupta
Admin

PostSubject: Re: To Prospective Students   To Prospective Students EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 3:45 am

Hey, I think references for this follow standard protocol (this is purely speculation, as iTeach does not officially release this information), so as James said, if there is any information that seems a bit suspect, or if the profs are on the fence with you and want to find out more information, it would then be a reasonable case to call the references.

Often, even the type of reference you put is considered, so be cognizant of that.
Back to top Go down
Sarah McPherson

PostSubject: Re: To Prospective Students   To Prospective Students EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 10:19 am

Wow, I hadn't even considered that they would look at the type of reference you put but I think that I'm okay. I have my old co-op supervisor (a vet), and my chemistry teacher. I think those sound reasonable...
Back to top Go down
Nicholas Pun

PostSubject: Re: To Prospective Students   To Prospective Students EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 12:47 pm

yeah that sounds great, I personally just used two teachers i've had for 2 years+
Back to top Go down
Prateek Gupta
Admin

PostSubject: Re: To Prospective Students   To Prospective Students EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 1:16 pm

yeah usually one academic (teacher, guidance councillor, tutor, principal) and one extracurricular/work (employer, coach, advisor, mentor) is good, but obviously, if there are two people that you think know you best, and serve as great references, go ahead with that.

just always be wary in using family/family friends, sometimes people don't like that.
Back to top Go down
Rebecca

PostSubject: Re: To Prospective Students   To Prospective Students EmptyMon May 09, 2011 4:53 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have also introduced myslef in the 2015 section but my name is Rebecca and I was wondering if any studetns, from any year (including 2015), have also been accepted to health sci. If so, I was wondering why you chose isci? Also, I know that people have mentioned the idea of students transferring to a variety of other programs withing McMaster from isci. What are your options after doing a first year in isci? How does the process of transferring to another area such as health sci or engineering work? Do you need to reapply?

Please keep in mind as you read this that I am in no way looking to negate the quality of this program. I think isci is an incredible program and it has fascinated me from the very beginning. I am simply looking to keep doors open instead of closing them.

One last thing, residence suggestions?

Thanks alot, the imput of current students has helped me more than anything else so far!
Rebecca Smile
Back to top Go down
Prateek Gupta
Admin

PostSubject: Re: To Prospective Students   To Prospective Students EmptyMon May 09, 2011 5:58 pm

Hi Rebecca,

I know several students that have been accepted to both Health Sci and the iSci program, and some have chosen one and some have chosen the other. The best example in my mind is Cody, as he was accepted to all three elite-entry McMaster programs (including ArtSci as well), if he could comment on that, that would be great. I also believe a few in McMaster iSci 2014 were in the same position as well.

Transferring. You cannot transfer to Engineering. You can transfer to ANY other program within the Faculty of Science at McMaster (you can look through these in the McMaster website). These require NO application, and if you have a good standing in iSci first year, this is a very simple process.

For Health Sci, there is a 2nd year application for ALL STUDENTS at Mac, including those in iSci. This requires essay-style questions, and consideration of your GPA in first year. In the iSci 2013 cohort, there were two students who was successful in their application to HealthSci, and others who were not, but this remains an option. I believe it is a similar process to ArtSci (application-based).

I can speak to the topic of HealthSci vs. iSci as I have many friends in the program, and I have lived with two of them for the past 3 years, so I know their workload and style of education very intimately. They are two extremely different programs built for two different individuals. I am certain that my academic performance and happiness would be worse in Health Sci, and my roommates would say the same if they are in iSci. Look into both and see which one best suits you and your learning style as an individual, or which program offers you challenges that you would rather overcome. This being said, the most concrete difference between the two is what you will learn. The "Science" in Health Science is near non-existent... and is tested and graded in unorthodox ways. In iSci, Science is the emphasis, and you will gain a strong foundation in areas such as Math, Physics, Psychology, Astronomy, and Earth Science within your time in iSci -- areas that you will never see in HealthSci. The *types* of problems you approach are very different -- see which ones you like better.

If it all comes down to "I don't really care what I learn in undergrad -- I want to be a doctor," please opt for Health Sci instead, as that will give you the more direct path. This being said, there are many students who want to pursue a medical career in iSci -- and I feel it is built extraordinarily well (in some ways even better than HealthSci) for it, but it all depends on what type of learner you are. You will learn directly in first year, understanding Drug Discovery or Cancer Research requires at least collaboration with mathematicians and physicists (if not a firm basis in each of these).

Hope that answered some of your questions, others who were actually in the same situation as Rebecca, please speak to this topic as well!!

Thanks for your questions, and any more please ask away! We're all here to help you make the best decision possible, whether for you it's iSci -- or not.
Back to top Go down
James SeongJun Han
Admin
James SeongJun Han

PostSubject: Re: To Prospective Students   To Prospective Students EmptyMon May 09, 2011 6:31 pm

hey Rebecca,

I 100% agree with Prateek (wise man). Your first criteria for choosing a program should be based on your true interest. I will give you a personal example (meaning it may differ for some individuals). I want to go to medical school. However, your undergraduate should not have to be so focused on what you want to become later (of course it has to relate within certain degree, but there is no need to be obsessing about it - i find that really weird). Undergraduate programs only provide students with fundamentals that are essential in your career. In your undergraduate career, I can tell you that whatever you will be doing is nowhere at PhD level or anything. You should be doing little bit of this and little bit of that, and become a more well-rounded person in any field.

Additionally, you can go to medical school from anywhere (as there were people in arts, music and some other programs who got into med school). So my advice is pursue what you are truly interested in. Yes, there are iScis who are switching out to some other programs, because their interest does not match with iSci curriculum. However, same is true for health sciences or any other program (I know couple of health scis dropping out also). So think about what you really want to do Smile

Whatever decision you make, choose where you think will be happy.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
Rebecca

PostSubject: Re: To Prospective Students   To Prospective Students EmptyMon May 09, 2011 6:39 pm

Thanks James and Prateek, I was also wondering if either of you have residence suggestions - either style of residence or building opinions.

Rebecca =)
Back to top Go down
James SeongJun Han
Admin
James SeongJun Han

PostSubject: Re: To Prospective Students   To Prospective Students EmptyMon May 09, 2011 6:49 pm

Hey Rebecca,

Well, its hard to suggest a residence without knowing what kind of person you are. Do you like quiet residences? do you like residences where you can meet a lot of people? etc
Les Prince is pretty quiet, and good for studying. However it is far, and expansive.
Keyes is also quiet and good for studying (also good for cooking). It is also close to thode library. However it is expansive (more expansive than LP)
Moulton, whidden, and other residences are also nice

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
Rebecca

PostSubject: Re: To Prospective Students   To Prospective Students EmptyMon May 09, 2011 6:56 pm

What do you mean by expansive? Did you ever regret Les Prince because of the far walk? Also, maybe it helps if I am someone who definitely wants to make friends and meet new people. At the same time, I need a quiet space at the end of the day to relax.
Back to top Go down
James SeongJun Han
Admin
James SeongJun Han

PostSubject: Re: To Prospective Students   To Prospective Students EmptyMon May 09, 2011 7:00 pm

Compared to other residences, Les Prince and Mary Keyes is more expansive. For me, I didn't mind the far walk. Especially because I couldn't exercise that much, longer walk worked out for me. I actually liked it. In les Prince, I met lots of people, and had quiet space as well. I also loved the view. I would recommend LP (although there may be some individuals who didn't like it - i don't know why)
Back to top Go down
Rebecca

PostSubject: Re: To Prospective Students   To Prospective Students EmptyMon May 09, 2011 7:04 pm

Thanks, I also really like Les Prince, now all I have to do is hope I get in! Gotta love that rez lottery! Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: To Prospective Students   To Prospective Students Empty

Back to top Go down

To Prospective Students
Page 1 of 1